Adoption Day Celebration

Tomorrow, November 22nd is National Adoption Day. To celebrate I am sharing a few poems, pictures, and a video about my own family - formed by adoption, expanded by birth, held together by love.

Our sweet Colleen - 36 hours old.

Adoption Love Limerick
 
Much to our delight
It all worked out just right
Our daughter's adoption
Was the perfect option
For all it was love at first sight








Sisters Through and Through                                     

Other sisters                                        
Look the same,
Carbon copies -
What a shame.

My sister looks
Nothing like me.

We are different
It's plain to see.

Different hair color,

Different eyes.

Different skin color,

Different size.

We look different,
It's plainly true.
But we are sisters
Through and through.

We keep secrets
From our mom.

When it storms,
Sis keeps me calm.

We share a room,
Our "Sister Suite".

Today we annoy,
Tomorrow we're sweet.

Through thick and thin,
We are stuck like glue.
We are sisters
Through and through. 

My family: Colleen, me, Joe and Maureen










Families Are Families                                       
Families are formed                                  
in different ways:
adoption or birth,
both are okay.

Adoptive families
get asked a question or two
"Is she your real daughter?"
"Why doesn't he look like you?"

Every adoptee
is a real child.
He or she isn't fake,
artificial or wild.

Families joined
by the power of love
belong together,
they fit like a glove.

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful heartfelt poems Bridget. Lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! Thanks so much for sharing. I especially love the one about sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! I can't imagine each of my girls without the other. Happy Thanksgiving! =)

      Delete
  3. I love these, Bridget. My children & my brother's children are adopted, & we know about that question, "is she/he your 'real' child?" I didn't know about adoption day. Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! Yay for adoptive families! Amazing what people say to strangers, huh? Happy Thanksgiving! =)

      Delete
  4. Your poems are so beautiful, Bridget! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your precious family, and thanks so much for sharing these with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky! I'm thankful for that I could share my family with the Poetry Friday community. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. =)

      Delete
  5. You have good reason to be proud! Happy Thanksgiving to you, and your family, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely family, Bridget, and lovely poems! Parenthood is my favorite kind of love at first sight :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tabatha! I agree whole heartedly with you! =)

      Delete
  7. So happy to see your adoption limerick on your own blog, Bridget! Cozied up with these others poems, it's found the perfect home. One of my favorite lines on your website is this: "I have two amazing daughters. One was adopted. I forget which one."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle, for your encouragement! It feels good to be in a supportive environment like Poetry Friday. =)

      Delete
  8. Love these! My boys are adopted too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! :)